- Phonemic Awareness Resources
- Phoneme Flashcards
This resource was created to help students develop phonemic awareness in French.
This approach to teaching phonics is based on:
- explicit and systematic teaching of foundational phonics skills.
- supports a structured literacy program.
- students learning phonemes in a particular order - any scope and sequence can be used; the one in this resource is suggestion only.
- students identifying and remembering phonemes through simple jingles and gestures.
- students blending phonemes together to read and write simple words.
- students identifying phonemes that are spelled differently in French
- students identifying phonemes that are pronounced differently in French
- synchronous learning of letter formation (handwriting).
There are 36 phonemes presented in this resource.
These phonemes are organized into 6 different groupings. The order in which the sounds are taught is to facilitate learning. **This order is a suggestion only. ANY scope and sequence can be used, simply use the flashcards in any order you prefer.**
Sounds are grouped according to the following:
- high to low frequency
- continuous sounds
- ability to create simple words
- movement sequence to form the sounds
Grouping 1 (s, a, c/k, l, t, b, i, m, n, r, p)
Grouping 2 (e, f, u, d, o, g, j, v, y)
Grouping 3 (é, oi, ou, ch, qu, on, z, en/an, ô, eu)
Grouping 4 (in, un, â, x, h, ê/è)
Grouping 5 (different graphemes, same phoneme)
Grouping 6 (same grapheme, different phonemes)
USING A DIFFERENT SCOPE AND SEQUENCE FOR TEACHING PHONEMES?
That's ok! You can still use these phoneme flashcards. Simply choose the order in which you want to teach them.
PLEASE NOTE: Only MAIN French sounds are introduced in this resource as the intended audience is Kindergarten and Grade 1. Check out this more comprehension sound chart for upper grade levels.
*Simplified and complex jingles
This package contains simplified jingles for Kindergarten learners, and complex jingles for either SK or Grade 1 learners.
*Decoding and recall
Various flashcard bundles are included:
- flashcards with letter, picture and jingle
- flashcards with letter and picture only - use visual cue to decode sound of the letter.
What are you buying:
--- 48 phoneme flashcards with the complex jingles
--- 48 phoneme flashcards with simplified jingles
--- 36 flashcards with letter and picture only (pictures used with simplified jingles)
--- 36 flashcards with letter and picture only (pictures used with complex jingles)